Sri Lanka Hill Country Kandaloya
An estate worker earns an equivalent of 3 EUR per day, on average and works for only 14 days per month. The estate workers do not have any job for the remaining days of the month. As the income of the workers is not enough to meet the ends of the family, the children are forced either to go for other jobs to support their family or to remain at home. However, they were not able to go to school as the parents find it difficult to pay for their childrens’ education. Your contributions helps to facilitate the children
to pursue their education without any interruption and thereby reduce the economic burden of the parents.
The Kandolaya Tamil Vidyalaya at the Kandolaya Estate has an enrollment of about 250 students and needs at least 22 teachers. At present, there are only 8 teachers. As the Kandolaya estate is located remotely from the neighbouring town, Navalapitti, and there are very limited transport facilities from the town, the teachers do not prefer to come working here. Those who join the school as teachers often get transfer and do not stay here longer. In this situation, your contribution helps to support the
unemployed but qualified youth to work as temporary teachers at the Kandolaya Tamil Vidyalaya to reduce the teaching and financial burden thereby.
Sri Lanka, Eastern Province
The children, from the socio-economically backward areas that are affected due to war and other factors, are lagging behind other students compared to their peers. The primary concern of the ‘Slow Learning’ project is to enrich their learning, reading and writing skills of these student. With your contribution, we supported unemployed youth, who were also not able to pursue higher education due to their socio-economic problems and remain at homes otherwise, making them as volunteers to facilitate Slow Learning Programme.
These activities of Uthawi will continue and Uthawi would attempt to initiate other activities in the future based on the situation only through your contribution. Keep contribute. Do bring your friends part of our collective.
We have sent all necessary details to your e-mail with which you could see, at any time (24/7) from anywhere in the world, on how your invaluable contributions are getting transactioned and being utilized any time at our site: URL: www.uthawi.net/donor. In case if you did not receive the details or the e-mail, please feel free contact us.
uthawi activities getting life with your contributions
* Chinnanjiru Pookkal Book release (Little Flowers Book, an anthology of creative works by the children)
* Santhosa pozhuthukal (Memorable Moments: An event involving participation of children and parents)
* Funds for purchasing of equipments for the school
* Funds for teachers’ salary
* Funds for the Students’ Hostel
* Funds for the screening of International Films and the volunteers
* Funds for the volunteers of story telling
* Funds for the teachers particular to Slow Learning
* Funds for students
All the activities are being carried out by the generous financial support offered by uthawi friends.
* Your contributions towards uthawi reach into the bank account of Kriegswaisenhilfe Sri-Lanka e.V, an organization registered by uthawi friends in Germany
* The contributions, thus received, are sent to the bank account of uthawi friend in Sri Lanka once in a year to reduce the service charges essential for the transaction at the bank
* The expenditures to be charged by the bank maintaining account and financial transactions are the only expenditures that are met with the contributions outside uthawi activities
* The fund received at the uthawi friend’s account is distributed to the diverse activities of uthawi
* uthawi friends in Sri Lanka ensure the workdone utilizing uthawi fund by directly visiting the places and witnessing activities
* We receive reports on the work done through uthawi fund by the uthawi volunteers
* We submit all the reports on expenditure details, the bank account statement of uthawi friend in Sri Lanka and that of Germany to German Tax Authority Kriegswaisenhilfe Sri-Lanka e.V for monitoring
Above all, you are always welcome to Sri Lanka to directly witness whether the contributions received are properly utilized for uthawi activities
We express our sincere gratitude for your kindness supporting the children in Sri Lanka, along with us
We live in Kandolaya Estate, a marginalized region located in Kekalai district of Sabragamuva province but close to the borders of Central province. The people live here did not have any basic amenities. The only estate belonging to JDEB functions just three days per week, as it runs into heavy loss. Therefore, people are forced to work as daily wage labourers in the small tea estates.
Kandolaya Tamil vidyalaya is located and functions in this region with such background. And we are first batch of students appeared in the GCE O/L exams conducted in 2013.
We, a group of eleven students, formed a group called ‘Vidiyal’ after our exams in 2013. While we go to computer classes on Monday and English classes on Tuesdays and Wednesdays, we also assist other students of our school in their learning in other days. We also involve in reading books on literatures, political and world affairs, watch world cinema and enrich our knowledge on higher education.
As there was no institutions/colleges offering GCE A/L courses in Sabragamuva province, we 7 students need to leave for other districts such as Central province for our GCE A/L course. In such conditions, we have to stay in hostels and the overall expense would go paying Rs. 8000 per student per month for including college, hostel and other expenses.
As all our parents are tea-estate labourers, they are not in a position to support our education paying college and hostel fees. Moreover, five among us lost their father and hence their families depend on the incomes of their mother. This is also same for two other students as one of their parents suffer from severe illness and are not able to work. Therefore, we cannot even think asking our parents supporting our higher education.
We live in a situation; if we did not continue our education, we will end up doing household works at homes without any knowledge of what is happening outside like our parents or as a labourer in the garment industries or as servants in the houses of landlords or businessmen.
This situation makes us worried and puts under fear that we would not be able to pursue our education and end up living as daily wage labourers like our parents. As we are filled with dreams of furthering our education not just for GCE A/L courses but also university level courses and further if possible and being aware of the importance of education to transform the marginalized societies such as ours, we seek the support of uthawi friends.
We will study well and score higher marks to get into universities which will enhance our knowledge and enrich our skills shaping our personality. We also determined to work not only among our region but also other marginalized regions like ours, after higher studies.
As we do not have options for financial support, all of us seek your support for our higher education and the development of our region in the future.
Thank you very much,
Vidiyal 2013 Students